Monday 8 March 2010

Material Girl

So Today I got to play with the materials of my model, I thought this would be a fairly short process, as mainly in Maya you get to just assign materials. I was wrong.

I cruised through so many tutorials online today, and quite frankly my head is spinning. It came down to the fact that the tutorials involved materials that were created outside of maya and didn't necessarily work on my wonderful Mac. (I guess thats another reason to get boot camped.) However I did find a tutorial using the Anisotropic material, which quite frankly Ive never heard of. The process was quite long, and it involved editing all sorts of setting in the hypershade. And then tweaking the transparency, reflexion and refraction on the actual material itself until I came up with something I was happy with.

Below is where I currently am with these tweaks.


I love the way it looks and I am so excited about showing the team. The only thing I want to change is the base colour to more of a blueish tone, so it feels colder, rather than mechanical.

I'm so glad I took the opportunity to play with a new material as I feel more comfortable with the hyper shade and playing around with settings. I think Alex once told us to play in Maya until we break things. Thats why we should constantly save our scenes. I think I finally understand that now, and i'm finally in the right mind set to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment